Contact Details |
Ramesh V Sonti
Area of Research: My lab is interested in understanding the mechanisms of attack and defense in the interaction between plants and their pathogens. Our model is the interaction between the bacterial pathogen, Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae (Xoo) and it host plant which is rice. A major focus of our current research is to identify the rice functions that are involved in induction of innate immunity and Xoo effector proteins that work inside rice cells to suppress innate immune responses. Of particular interest are immune responses that are induced by Xoo secreted rice cell wall degrading enzymes and lipolysaccharide. In addition, we have been been studying a number of other Xoo virulence factors. A rice variety, called Improved Samba Mahsuri, that has been developed by us in collaboration with the Directorate of Rice Research exhibits excellent resistance against Xoo and has been released for commercial cultivation.
| Click here for team members | Click here for publications|
- Mahesh Kumar Gupta, RajkanwarNathawat, Dipanwita Sinha, Asfarul S. Haque, RajanSankaranarayanan, and Ramesh V. Sonti. 2015. Mutations in the Predicted Active Site of Xanthomonas oryzaepv. oryzaeXopQ Differentially Affect Virulence, Suppression of Host Innate Immunity, and Induction of the HR in a Nonhost Plant. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions. 28:2, 195-206.
- Ashish Ranjan, JyothilakshmiVadassery, Hitendra Kumar Patel, Alok Pandey, Ramesh Palaparthi, Axel Mithofer, Ramesh V Sonti. 2015. Upregulation of jasmonate biosynthesis and jasmonate-responsive genes in rice leaves in response to a bacterial pathogen mimic. Functional & integrative genomics. 15:363-373.
- Dipanwita Sinha, Mahesh Kumar Gupta, Hitendra Kumar Patel, Ashish Ranjan, Ramesh V. Sonti. 2013. Cell Wall Degrading Enzyme Induced Rice Innate Immune Responses Are Suppressed by the Type 3 Secretion System Effectors XopN, XopQ, XopX and XopZ of Xanthomonas oryzaepv. oryzae. PLoS ONE 8(9): e75867. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0075867.
- Sujatha Subramoni, Alok Pandey, M. R. Vishnu Priya, Hitendra Kumar Patel and Ramesh V. Sonti. 2012. The ColRS system of Xanthomonas oryzaepv. oryzae is required for virulence and growth in iron-limiting conditions. Molecular Plant Pathology. 13:7, 690-703.
- Gudlur Aparna, Avradip Chatterjee, Ramesh V. Sonti and RajanSankaranarayanan2009. A cell wall-degrading esterase of Xanthomonas oryzae requires a unique substrate recognition module for pathogenesis on rice. Plant Cell. 21(6):1860-73.